Question
Posted by: Goose | 2008/09/03

AnOvulation

Ek het onlangs my jaarlikse ondersoek gehad by die Ginikoloog en ons het ontdek dat ek vir die laaste drie maande nie geovuleer het nie. Ek gaan volgende week vir '  n progesteroon toets om vas te stel of ek wel hierdie maand geovuleer het.
Daar lê  tans drie eierselletjies in my een eierstok.
Watter prosesse sal gevolg word om die eierselletjies te verminder en te voorkom dat ek, indien ek weer sou ovuleer en swanger raak, nie veelvoudige bevrugtings het nie.
Ek het reeds '  n dogtertjie van 3 en het baie maklik met haar swanger geraak, ek wil graag weer swanger raak maar is bang vir tweelinge of selfs meer.

Dear Goose

The question depends on whether you are using any ovulation enhancing agents currently and whether the 3 follicles are all likely to reach maturity at the same time. Were ovulation enhancement drugs are used this may result in multi-ovulation and there is unfortunately no method by which selective ovulation can be blocked and therefore the risk of multiple pregnancies will remain should to proceed. However in a fertility clinic it possible to extract the excess eggs by means of transvaginal egg retrieval and allow just a single follicle to rupture and in this way the likelihood of multiple pregnancies can be reduced although not entirely eliminated. The best method would be to continue follicle tracking by means of ultrasound scanning to establish the point of follicle maturity and then to decide on the best method of management there after. In cases of underlying PCOS it is often the case that follicles will not continue to develop beyond a certain point and therefore your fears maybe unfounded, as ovulation may still not occur spontaneously.

Answered by: Dr. M.I.Cassim