Question
Posted by: Monday | 2010-11-01

Another sleep paralysis qu

I have been wanting to ask this - also read your reply to a previous thread regarding sleep paralysis.

i''ve tried finding the answers to these questions but would appreciate your input:

what may contribute to this condition? this happens to me just before i fall asleep and other times i wake up and also have it happen to me. my ''symptoms"  = i get pins and needles throughout my body, i get very hot, i hear like tingling (cant describe the sound) and i am unable to move or talk. my heart then races (i think that''s because i get very scared as i cannot explain this).

is there any research on a possible association with nutrition (lack thereof) and this? is it actually sleep paralysis? what may prevent further occurences?

sorry for this long post, but i appreciate your answer.
thx

Expert ImageSleep Expert

What you are describing does indeed sound like sleep paralysis. It has nothing to do with nutrition.

When we go into the dream stage of sleep (so-called REM sleep) our muscles become paralysed. This prevents us from acting out our dreams, in other words sleep-walking. When this paralysis happens at a time it shouldn't, then one gets sleep paralysis. Very frightening, but of no health consequences.

Thank you for reading the posts, and keep the questions coming!

1
Posted by: Trevor | 2010-12-03

My sleep paralysis is only felt in my shoulders and upper arms. I wake up 3-5 times every night with painful shoulders and upper arms and pins and needles in my whole arm and hands. I can only sleep on my sides (very uncomfortable on my back) and this means I have to turn over many times during the night. This does not cause me anxiety, just a lot of pain. I have a Simmons mattress, and that''s supposed to be one of the best - but I still feel the pain.

Reply to Trevor