Question
Posted by: Fat Mum | 2009-03-25

Another reductil question

on the weightloss forum a woman who is currently using reductil has lost 5.4kg in a week (she has 40kg to loose).

I' ve been on reductil for a week &  only lost 2kg (I have 16kg to loose)

Do heavier people loose faster on reductil??

Dear Fat Mum
The rate at which people lose weight is dependent on many factors: 1) starting weight - as you have noticed, people who are very overweight lose faster initially than those who only need to lose a few kgs and the closer you get to your goal weight, the slower the loss becomes, 2) gender plays an important role - men generally lose faster than women - unfair, but true, because of their higher basic metabolic rate, 3) so-called ectomorphs with a high muscle tissue percentage also lose weight faster for the same reason. So weightloss is a complex business that can be affected by many influences.

3
Posted by: Tango | 2009-03-25

Reductil has been in SA for a good few years. No - medical aid will not pay for it. Prices vary from R600 and up - depending on the pharmacy, although prices are fixed by the SEP (Single Exit Price) from the maunfacturer.

Its an effective drug and works on the satiety area of the brain. But like ALL diet meds, unless your lifestyle has changed when you stop, such as reduced intake / increased out put (exercise) the weight will creep back up!

Reply to Tango
Posted by: Fat Mum | 2009-03-25

The cost of the reductil varies at different places. My cousin is a doctor so he gets it for me from the supplier at R600.00 for 1 months dose

Their are 2 different strengths 10mg &  15mg. I' m on the 15mg.

The first day i took it i did feel a bit ' wired'  but nothing since then.

I must admit I suddenly have the urge to exercise (which is rare for me) / be more active than i usually am &  i' m not that hungry. I do try to drink loads of water during the day so that by the time evening rolls around i' ve peed most of the stuff out of my system &  it does not effect my sleep (insomnia one of the side effects).

They do suggest you follow a balanced eating plan &  try to get exercise in as well.

I' m not sure if Med Aid pays for the stuff as its pretty new to SA. I' m sure your doc will be able to let you know that.

Reply to Fat Mum
Posted by: CV | 2009-03-25

Hi Mum.

I don' t have a answer 2 your question , but i have a question for u.
How much does the reductil cost and do u know if Discoveri will pay for it? Also does it have any side effects ? Like making you edgy or short fused???

Is it a tablet ? and what exactly do u have to eat?

Please let me know cos i want to ask my Doc about prescribing somethng for me... juat to get me started ..Thanx CV NB! i have about 20 kg to loose.

Reply to CV