Question
Posted by: sad | 2009/10/13

another question re stress fracture

Hi Doc. Thanks for your reply re post 479. Just another question regarding my stress fracture, can I do weight training for my legs and calves i.e. weighted calf raises, lunges with weights, etc or does this put too much pressure on the fracture? Thanks.

Hi sad

That's a tricky one. It depends on the servery of the fracture, how serious it. If it's quite severe, then any weight bearing could aggravate it. It didn't sound like that was your problem though. So that means you're somehow along the spectrum from severe to very mild, and so you might be able to get away with it. There's no way to know for sure. I would however avoid anything that forces you to flex your foot a long way, especially under load. So if you're doing those calf raises, there will be load on the foot, and that may aggravate your problem.

I think what I would do is reduce the weight as far as possible, don't do anything with weights for now. If you do it without, then add small weights. Rather move towards that limit than start off beyond it and have to cut back, if you follow my logic!

The other thing, if I recall correctly, is that you hadn't had it diagnosed 100% correctly, and that means you might have something completely dif

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/10/15

Hi sad

Reply to fitnessdoc