Question
Posted by: teddy | 2010-03-29

anorexic weight gain

i am currently underweight (BMI 16) and have been advised to increase my calorie intake. does it make a difference to the way my body will build (fat/muscle) depending on what i eat? and if i suddenly increase my carb intake (simple and complex) is my body going to store it all as fat or will it use it to build all different tissues?

Dear Teddy
I trust that you are under the care of a clinical dietitian now that you are recovering from anorexia? if not, then please consult a dietitian as soon as possible. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The reason why I would recommend that you get the help of a dietitian is that you may relapse into anorexia if you actually gain a bit of weight. You need someone who will walk this path with you until your weight and BMI, are normal again. The dietitian will also advise you on what types of food you need to eat to gain weight sensibly and to replace vital nutrients like vitamins and minerals which have been missing from your diet. I do not know why everyone is so obsessed with the incorrect idea that carbohydrates cause fat gain. Carbs have the lowest energy value (16 kJ per gram) of the 3 macronutrients (17 kJ per gram for proteins and a whopping 37 kJ per gram for fat). If the carbohydrate has a high dietary fibre content then the energy content is even lower. So you can eat carbs and proteins, and even moderate portions of healthy fats (olive oil, etc) to increase your weight sothat you can get back into the normal range.
So please get some expert help from a dietitian to guide you through this important stage of getting back to eating normally again.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-03-29

Dear Teddy