Posted by: Anon | 2012-02-17

My best friend is anorexic - she has been hospitalised before, and I just don''t know how to help! What should I do / say? I want to be supportive, but I don''t want to enable her. She was doing well (had put on 3kg''s), but something has triggered her, and she''s now back to 48kg''s and dangerously thin. She has agreed to go back to counseling, and I want to help her any way I can. Thank you in advance for your help.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Anon,
A very difficult situation for you, as you dearly wish your suffering friend to acknowledge and recognize her problem. I suggest that you confront your friend and let her know that you are concerned and wish to support her in every way that you can. However, be careful as a friend, as you don't want to try and be her therapist. Your friend ultimately needs to reach out for help in order to feel safe enough to begin her recovery.