Posted by: Bits | 2008-12-22

My sister-in-law had anorexia during her teen years but has not put on much weight since overcoming this. She wants to have kids but has not yet been able to. I fear that she is underweight and this could be the cause. How would I be able to convince her to put on some weight without offending her?

Dear Bits
This is a difficult and sensitive problem. Anorexia can affect a woman's reproductive capacity negatively, so even if your sister-in-law has overcome her anorexia she may well have damaged herself during the time when she suffered from this condition. If she is anxious to conceive then it is essential that she consults a gynaecologist who will be able to determine if she has any impediment to falling pregnant (e.g. low hormone levels, anovulation, blocked tubes, etc). You can certainly encourage her to seek professional help from a gynae, but you cannot encourage her to gain weight - this is something the dr will do if it should be necessary.