Posted by: erica | 2012-07-07

anorexia and bmi

how do i know if i am anorexic, is there a bmi measure for anorexia usually? My BMI is 16.6 , and i am aware i am underweight.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Erica,
There are a few criteria that need to be fulfilled to have the diagnosis of Anorexia Nervosa. Besides certain attitudes and distorted thoughts, as well as a three month consecutive lack of menses, to be anorexic, you need to be 15% below the recommended weight for your height , sex,(and age). With a BMI of 16.6, you are underweight and you are almost 15% below your recommended minimum weight. You should be less concerned about the strict criteria, and more concerned about the fact that you are already significantly underweight. I suggest you seek professional help.

Posted by: Anon | 2012-07-30

A BMI of under 18 is underweight and usually under 17.5 is diagnostic of anorexia if you have other psychological symptoms,ie. intense fear of gaining weight, restricting food intake and thinking you are fat even though you are underweight, preoccupation with your weight and appearance and unwillingness to gain weight if it is suggested, plus others like that. a BMI alone is not a diagnosis of anorexia. That''s just based on the fact that I''ve suffered from the illness myself.
If you have those symptoms with your current BMI, you should go and see someone. Again, that''s just my opinion. It is hard, but it''s worth