Posted by: Anon | 2012-03-23

I am nearly thirty and have suffered with ED for many years. I had a terrible relapse last year that put my weight down to 47kg ( I am 171m) and have only managed to keep three kilos on since then. I managed to pick up six kilos and now my weight is back down to 49kg. Whilst I am feeling well and healthy and have tried to move on with my life, my weight is still baffling. people dont think im recovered fully and say i am still too thin. I am alternating between days of feeling fat and days of feeling self conscious about my weight. I feel like all people comments are doing is triggering me and bringing attention where i dont want it. Today I feel like opting more for the anorexic side of myself. Out of curiosity is it normal not be able to get into a healthier BMI even though i am eating well? Is this a common side effect? I have thought about supplementing, but I dont enjoy it. Can my body be healthy at this weight and height?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Anon,
Your weight of 49 kilograms still leaves you quite significantly underweight, and you have some way to go before you are out of danger. It is quite clear that you still suffer many of the psychological symptoms of your eating disorder, given that you are very distorted about your appearance much of the time and fear weight restoration, despite the fact that you need to gain at least 5 kilogramns before you enter the lowest of the normal weight range. I suspect that you are probably over-estimating your intake as you should be able to steadily gain weight if you are eating sufficiently. The only time that it may be difficult to restore weight as an anorectic is in the first few weeks of re-feeding, when you are hypermetabolic (your metabolism accelerates quickly with the new improved intake and burns off many calories). I suggest that you consult with a dietician and have a personalised meal plan designed to help you see exactly what you need to eat. You should also be in therapy to explre your resistance to change and later discover the causes underlying your debilitating illness.