Question
Posted by: sam | 2011-03-18

anorexia

I am just curious, how did you become anorexia. I am constantly thinking about food and if I don''''t eat, my tummy rumbles and I am in such a bad mood and dizzy. I would really like to lose some weight but not by starving myself.

Do you have some advise on how not binge and think of food the whole day?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Sam,
At first glance, I was tempted to remove this question from the forum as it appears provocative. However, I am not certain if this is where you are coming from and will give you the benefit of the doubt. I am not going to explain how someone becomes anorexic, however. Not eating regularly will lend to "rumbles" as this is the body's natural signal to tell you to eat something. Irritability is also likely. The dizziness is likely the result of a drop in blood sugar and can result in passing out, or even a seizure in some. Losing weight by starvation is both dangerous and irresponsible. It also ultimately lends to a lowering of the metabolic rate and consequential weight gain, which is where the term "yo-yo" dieting comes from. in fact, it is not quite like a yo-yo, because perpetual restrictive dieting usually results in more weight gain than initial weight loss. My advice is that you eat regularly and moderately through the day. That way you should likely not want to binge and you should not be preoccupied about food all day. I hope this adequately answers your question.
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Tracy | 2011-03-21

Sam, your post sounds very ambiguous. On one hand you would like to know about anorexia but on the other hand you want to lose weight healthily. I would suggest you go with the healthy option.

Adopting eating disorder behaviours like starvation are serious and can have serious implications. It''s not desirable. I know this because I''ve been there. Anorexia is not a weight loss method, it''s a psychiatric illness that is very difficult to undo. It''s shameful, lonely and you stand much to lose - like relationships, money, health and yourself. Some people don''t even heal and very often it can lead to death. You do not want to end up on medication, depressed with a feeling of hopelessness. This is the ONLY path an eating disorder will lead you down.

If you choose the healthy option, you will feel great about yourself. Visit a dietician and get real advice from someone who knows about nutrition and your nutritional needs. I wish you all the best.

Reply to Tracy