Question
Posted by: Scott | 2009-03-27

Anorexia

I' m in Iraq right now and i just recently found out that my girlfriend has reverted back to her anorexic ways. She doesn' t know that i know. I really don' t want her to get hurt. Please help.

Dear Scott
This is indeed a problem if you are in Iraq and your girlfriend is presumably in another country (SA?).
Anorexia is an Eating Disorder, which needs to be treated with a team approach. Please persuade her to consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages in SA under 'Psychologists' or she can ask her gp to refer her), to help her work out what underlying psychological problems are driving her to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. She should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist her to get back to eating normally again. She can visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in her area. If she is in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs she can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on: www.riverviewmanor.co.za
Get her to go for expert help ASAP.