Question
Posted by: Worries | 2011-06-30

Anon

Lately I am a ball of worries and nerves. So much so that it is effecting my life and my relationship with my husband and of course my poor children. My worries revolve mostly around ploitics, crime and finances. I am stressing over the lates news headlines and cannot help but to feel something really bad is going to happen really soon. As if the whole country is going to fall apart in days. I am worried sick about our safety. My sister walked in on burglars the other day and by the grace of God she was not harmed but WHAT IF plagues me. I could type for hours if I had to sit down and start recording the recent crimes that have effected loved ones. I lie awake at night convinced a mob will tear into our home and attack my family. I stress that I am not going to be able to provide food for my children in a few months because of rising cost of living. When I see the salaries announced recently for Eskom I want to be sick. How can people earn that when there is so much poverty and more than half the population cannot even afford electricity. I just can''t help but think things are just never going to settle down I am always going to live in worry and fear. I feel like I am surviving from day to day but I am not living. Surely this cannot be life. Is there any medication that can take away some of this worry as I am desperate.

Sometimes, if one is developing an Anxiety or Depressive Disorder, one's reactions to the unpleasant things around us become exaggerated and more distressing than they need be. Its not helpful, as I'm sure you have discovered, to worry about things over which you have no power, things you cannot change. Things are far from as good as we'd wish, but a mob is really not likely to break into your house. Yes, it is obscene that the folks who helped make the continuing disaster of Eskom should get themselves such ridiculous salaries just as he bankers that ruined the world's economies continue to award themselves massive bonuses, But until we find a way to change that, it is more useful to sort out our own lives as best we can.
medication can't change the situation, or our disgust or despair at how badly many things are run. But if you do indeed have, as is possible, an Anxiety or Depressive Disorder, this can respond very usefully to proper treatment, with medication, but preferably also with some CBT style counseling. That wont transform the world, but may enable you to cope far better with it, for the sake of yourself and your loved ones.

2
Posted by: Romany | 2011-07-01

Join the club.....

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Jacqui Melville | 2011-07-01

Sadly enough, there is no medication to take these things away. It is depressing to hear about all these things happening around us. Try to focus on other stuff, the more positive things. The sky is not going to fall on your head just yet :)

Reply to Jacqui Melville