Question
Posted by: manners? | 2010-06-23

anon

im at the start of psychotherapy, so im still establishing a relationship with my Dr. how do you guys address your psychiatrists? Dr/their name, jy/jou?

i just feel uncomfortable sharing such personal stuff and then reminding myself to say Dr.

lol

fascinating question, and while I'd be interested to hear what others have experienced or don, I wonder what your shrink would say if you asked him / her. Most people, on both sides of the couch, seem to feel there is value in keeping it formal ("Doctor", etc ) to remind both of you that this is serious treatment and not a friendly chat among pals. yes, you do share personal stiff with your shrink - but then you allow your gynsecologist to do to you thinks you probably wouldn't allow most friends to do, and you sually don't insist on calling him "Bobby".

4
Posted by: J | 2010-06-24

I have seen several shrinks and psychologists and have always called them by their first name.

Reply to J
Posted by: Ray | 2010-06-23

I''ve been to 4 shrinks - all about the same age as me. All insisted that I called them by their first name and they certainly didn''t call me Mr.....

Just ask them Anon - cant bite off your head.

I don''t know about my gynae - but I call my GP by first name as well. Come on Doc - lighten up!

Reply to Ray
Posted by: anon2 | 2010-06-23

i would maybe just ask the doc whether they would mind being called by first name as it is what you feel most comfortable with. I think if they know their stuff they will appreciate your being candid and open - after all that is what therapy shuld be all about, surely.

Reply to anon2