Posted by: Jimmy | 2010-11-29

Annual Leave

Good Day
On the Dept of Labour''s website I say that one is entitled to 21 days annual leave, is that information accurate and up to date? I spoke to my boss he only gives us 15 days to take during the year, can I insist on taking 21days as declared on the dept of labours website? because on my contract it only says 15 days leave. Who do i believe Dept of labour or my manager?

thank you,

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Annual leave

Annual leave is calculated on the basis of three weeks consecutive leave. i.e. if you only have a three day week you would then be entitled to 9 days leave. If it's a 5 day week then you will be entitled to 15 days and if it's a 6 day week then it would be 18 days.

Posted by: casey | 2011-01-13

Leave is calculated at 1.25 days leave per month which adds up to 15 days leaves.

Just note that the 21 days of the Department of Labour is consecutive leave which includes weekends. The 15 days are the number working days leave you are entitled to.

Reply to casey
Posted by: JR | 2010-11-30

Your contr is correct if it is working days, 21 days incl weekends, continouis leave maybe. Or maybe depending on the amount of hours worked? Don''t really know. For the domestics it is 14 working days.

Reply to JR
Posted by: No Expert | 2010-11-30

Hi Jimmy, i really do not know alot when it comes to labour and what not, but i would think if the company say 15 days.........Than 15 days it is.......... Coz isn''t it company policy. After 5 years or so, your annual leave days increase to 21 days maybe.......Well at least where i work, it works like that. 15 Days for the first 5 years and after 5 years, 21 days. But I might be wrong, let''s wait what others have to say. But for now, i think believe your manager.

Reply to No Expert