Posted by: Pet owner | 2011-12-07

Annual check up

I have 4 dogs (I originally only had 2 and when i bought my house the previous owner left his dogs begind) adn i have 2 cats every year i have taken them for their annual injections etc in Nov and i deworm every 3 months. This year finacially we are very tight , i get my annual bonus in March , what is the risk in leaving this until March , my cats are in door and my dogs have no exposure to other dogs ... am i taking a huge risk here ?

Hi Pet Owner

I would discuss this matter with your local vet and see what he/she suggests as they have the clinical history on all your animals. Timing of vaccination depends on the vaccination manufacturers, previous vaccination history, risk of exposure and geographical area etc. The veterinary practice may even be able to assist you with some financial planning solution.

I hope this is of help

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Posted by: George | 2011-12-09

Not sure when Cybervet will help.. so a few comments. Have a chat to your Vet if you can push it out. In general, immunity does NOT cease after exactly 12 months. Also it sounds like your pets are all adults and have had a few years of regular vaccinations? If yes, then they have good boosters for the extra 3 months. Key are young and old animals who are still " weaker"  in fighting diseases. For peace of mind, have a chat to your vet. Great that your deworming so well and regularly. A way to keep worms to a minum is to ensure the faeces of your dogs are collected daily, and thrown away off your property. No worms eggs on the property, minimises infestation in dogs.

Reply to George