Question
Posted by: Apples | 2010/06/09

Annoying rash

Hi there, I was diagnosed with an upper respiritory tract infection &  received a prescription for the generic Augmentin - within an hour or so of taking the first dosage I ended up with a rash between my buttocks. Can this be drug reaction &  if so what can I treat it with?

Hallo Apples
I don't think it is a drug reaction - this would be all over the body. But Augmentin may reduce the normal bacteria in the gut, causing overgrowth of Candida (yeasts) or "bad" bacteria which may cause vaginal infections and skin infections. Take a probiotic three times a day while on the Augmentin. If the rash looks like a diaper rash it may be a yeast and something like Canesten cream (or generic substitute) may help. If the rash looks like pimples with yellow points, it may be bacterial and Bactroban ointment may help.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/06/09

Hallo Apples