Posted by: Liza | 2009-08-03

I was supposed to be flying from Cape Town to Pretoria on Friday to visit my boys, but all my siblings in Pretoria are coming to Cape Town instead this weekend - bringing my boys with - to visit with my Dad who is still in hospital here in Cape Town. Then my sister told me that I have to give them money for petrol since they are bringing my boys with and I no longer need to fly. The only problem is - it' s a non-refundable ticket. So why should I give my sister money when they upset my plans? So I told her No, the plane ticket was non-refundable so whether they upset my plans and came to Cape Town or not would not have made a difference - I would see my boys either way and I' ve spent the R1300 on the plane ticket regardless.

This whole thing has annoyed me considerably. It just underlined the fact that I' m GLAD to have moved to Cape Town and not be in close contact. My sister is always out for as much as she can get out of others. In the past I always had to give her petrol money if she had to drive around for me. When she needed me to drive around for her, I always had to do it without her giving me anything. If I dare bring up the subject of her helping out with petrol money, I get shot down. Once she was complaining that she couldn' t afford groceries. I went out and bought her R1000' s groceries by cutting out any luxuries for myself for the month. Just to realize that her cats were being fed Whiska' s pouches, she had Coke in her fridge throughout the whole month etc. That was when I decided enough is enough.

Sounds like bad family coordination, and perhaps a non-sharing of intentions and plans ?
Is it acceptable to you and your boys that they be brought to you in cape town instead ? Just tell her it's a non-refundable ticket, so they will not be saving you any money at all. Is it practical to still trabel to Pretoria, and have them leave the boys there ? ( IS there someon else in Pretoria who would care for them until you get there ? )
Sounds like your sister needs no further donations from you.