Question
Posted by: Bella | 2012/08/29

Annorexic friend

Hi Cs! I have a problem, and I really don''t know what to do about it. I think a close friend of mine has anorexia. She has lost so much weight, hasn''t had her period in a while (not pregnant), her face looks boney, her shoulders stick out. There is definitely a huge difference in her weight, since her wedding in 2010.

I think she''s also very depressed, and has had quite a lot of issues with her father.

The thing is that I don''t know how to approach the subject, well I tired and she just brushes it off and says that she''s abnormal because her mom has big thigh bones. I want to help her, but I was reading up on anorexia and they say you need to tread lightly with the subject. So I don''t know what to do.

I don''t even know if her husband suspects something. I mean surely he would have? Should I speak to him first, then he can discuss it with her?

x

Anorexia sounds like a possibility, though other explanations for sudden or severe weight loss of course are also possible. Any severe weight loss tends to lead to periods stopping, that's notm limited to anorexia. Depression in itself could be very relevant. Even if her mom's thigh bones were gigantic, that's not relevant at all.
Maybe the issue should be not necessarily talking to her about anorexia as such, but about your concern for her obvious major weight-loss, and how wise it would be for her to see a doc for a proper asssessment of why this is and what best to do about it.
Surely, indeed, her husband must have noticed this, so maybe a quiet chat with him would be helpful to aid you in understanding her and her problem, and maybe planning together how to be most helpful.

2
Posted by: Bella | 2012/08/29

Thanks Cs :)

Reply to Bella