advertisement
Question
Posted by: A.L | 2008/09/09

Annorexic Cat

Good Day,

I live in West Africa and am far from proper vetinary help. My one cat is a male. He goes away for 4 days or so (my guess is to find the ladies), and then comes back very skinny but picks up weight quickly again. This time he went away and came back extremely thin but he doesn' t want to eat properly. I have given him Whiskas, chicken, beef, mince, pellets, everything. But he doesn' t want to eat. I can see he has no energy left. He has been this way for almost 2 weeks now. I' m not sure if he got poisoned or if someone kicked him or if he got bitten by a snake. What can i do?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberVet

Dear A.L

Even a poor veterinary service is better than none at this stage.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

1
Our users say:
Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/09

The obvious thing would be to see about getting him to a vet... but if this is impossible, could you maybe describe his symptoms in more detail?

You' ve said he' s thin and won' t eat. Does he behave normally in other respects? Does he drink water? Is he trying to hide away? Does he seem to prefer to be away from bright light? Does he allow you to touch him all over? If he does - see if all his limbs move normally, without causing him pain. Do this by moving all the joints of every limb, from the top to the toes, in turn - GENTLY, and watching his reaction.

Press gently on his stomach and abdomen, and watch his reaction there too - if something hurts, you will probably be able to tell. Do his eyes look clear, and focused? Are his gums and eyelids a normal pink colour? Take a good look in his mouth - a bad tooth, or a damaged or broken jaw might make eating painful or very uncomfortable. Also check his skin, beneath the fur - any wounds? Colour and general appearance ok?

Of course, his ' output'  is also informative - doesn he widdle and poo with normal frequency, and do they look or smell different?

Also: has he been dewormed and vaccinated regularly? Does he have any parasites?

I know these are a lot of questions, but the more information you can provide, the better will be the advice you get from this forum.

See what you can come up with!

Reply to Chill

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement