Question
Posted by: Rita | 2008/08/29

Ankolysing Spondilits

Hi Doc,

Im a 30 year old female and was diagnosed with this from my specialist about 3 years ago. I have been on methrotrexate for nearly a year now, i inject my self once a week, 6ml at a time and take folic acid. My problem is that i still have pain in my left bum all the time, even though i do my stretches, its now even on my left shoulder, every day is a battle, well i wake up with pain, wake up during the night with pain, i hate my life being this way, constantly in pain. Can you suggest anything please!

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Rita
Ankolysing spondylitis is a chronic inflammatory disease causing progressive limitation of back motion and of course pain. I am sure you are on anti-inflammtory drugs as well? I know you do stretching exercises- have you tried something like Pilates? This may also help a little in keeping the joints a bit more mobile. I'm sorry I can't be of any help, but ask your rheeumatologist about infliximab or etanercept treatment.