Question
Posted by: Anita | 2009/02/10

Ankle Sprain

My 11yr old daughter sprained her ankle yesterday while dancing! I applied some Voltaren Emulgel, put on an ankle brace and put her feet up. My question is can she use the ankle brace while she' s at school or should her ankle be ' free' ? Will apply ice in the afternoons when she' s back from school. Am I doing it right? Thank you.

Dear Anita
You did the right thing. Rather keep the brace on. You can also put ice packs on the area if swollen, and continue using Voltaren. If the ankle is very blue it is a sign that some ligaments could be torn - rather let your doctor have a look if this is the case, to prevent future instability.