Question
Posted by: Bella | 2010-11-17

Ankle pain

I am a long distance runner and have now developed a pain in what appears to be my achilles tendon and also the bone on the side of your ankle. I dropped an extension cord plug on my foot and that is when the pain started so I do not know if this referred pain or not. I also tore my calf muscle in Feb during a marathon but had extensive physio on it and ran an completed the Comrades so I do not know if it is also from this cos i do know that the calf muscle attaches to the achilles and could be the problem. What do you suggest, RICE???

Hi Bella

I would guess (and it is a guess) that your problem is more related to the calf injury. I don't know of a referred pain to the Achilles like that. But a strained calf muscle could well be a problem, even with your good rehab and treatment. I don't know what your training has been like in the last few weeks, but maybe you've ramped up the training and that's exacerbated the same injury as before.

The key now is to reduce training volume right away - down to 50% of normal, then build up very gradually, never going above 80% of your normal volume. So if you run 50km a week, take a week off, then go to 25km, then maybe 30km, but never up beyond 40km until the pain has gone.

If it persists despite less training, then you may need to see a physio again. I hate to pass the buck, but that's what you need to diagnose the problem if rest and easier training don't solve it.

So give it a few weeks, if it persists and starts to limit your running and daily activity, then definitely consider seeing someone about it.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-11-26

Hi Bella

Reply to fitnessdoc