Question
Posted by: Fiona | 2010/01/10

Ankle injuries

I get recurring pain in the spot just below the knobble of the inner ankle. It comes and goes, but it usually brought on by running or walking for long periods and then it always lasts 4 days whether I rest the ankle or not. While the ankle is ' flaring up' , its incredibly painful and hurts most if I jump onto it. It happens to both ankles, but never at the same time. I often get a bit of redness around the area that looks a bit like a birthmark. I am otherwise very fit, and always have been. I am 24, female and I have crohns disease. Any ideas?

Historical injury, perhaps, that has resulted in weakness of the ligaments or tendons, perhaps? Or maybe just a weakness. The only thing I can suggest is that you try to strength the ankle, not by overloading it, but by gradually building up the distance or time that you spend on it. So for example, you say that it gets sore when you run or walk for long periods. What happens if you go for short periods? If the pain starts if you run for 45 minutes, then run 30 minutes, and work on the strength of the ankles until you can tolerate 45 minutes and so on.

It sounds as though you might be overdoing it on that first occasion, and that if you backed off and built up, you might be able to run without any pain.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/01/15

Reply to fitnessdoc