Posted by: Worried | 2009-02-17

Ankle / Heel pain

I hurt my ankle/heel a week ago while climbing a dune because I went in with my heel first. Its been sore ever since, I limb a bit when I walk. Sometimes during that day it would be fine, it is more painful in the morning when I get out of bed or when I stand up after sitting for a while. I have just started an excercise programme and I am able to jog or jump because of my pain it causes. What I can do to sort it out asap!! PLease help

Dear Worried
It depends if it is the heel bone, or the ankle joint that you hurt - for starters you can try an anti-inflammatory like Voltaren or Neurofen if you don't have stomach ulcer, allergy or other contra-indications for using it. If the ankle is painful but not swollen or blue or unstable, you can strap it with crepe bandage. If it is the heel you may have bruised the bone and just have to give it some time to heal. Try doing exercises like bicycling or swimming where you don't put weight on the heel but can still get cardio exercise.