Question
Posted by: Shell | 2010/03/18

Ankle fracture rehabiliation

Hi, i fractured my ankle 4 weeks ago and am currently wearing an aircast. My leg muscles are already going soft and I still have 1 month to go. What exercises would be safe to do in the meantime while I''m wearing the air cast?
When can I resume normal gym training? What sort of exercises should I concentrate on to get my muscle tone back once I get rid of the cast?

Hi Shell

Difficult to prescribe - what you really need is to consult with a physio for first phase rehab, and then second phase, when the aircast comes off. They'll help with exercises that mostly involve balance and stability, so that you don't "forget" how to control the ankle and the muscles. That's the most important thing right now, but then over time, you'll need to do actual strength work. That comes quite a bit later.

But for now, as much as you may not wish to hear it, the best thing you can do is to see a physio and have the first couple of weeks supervised.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/03/27

Hi Shell

Reply to fitnessdoc