Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2011-03-24

Ankle

Dear Doc

This morning, I twisted my ankle (it just gave way as I stepped) as I stepped down a step - just for an instant. My ankle pained as it happened but seemed fine a few minutes later and was only tender for the rest of the day. I did not spend a lot of time standing today. Now as the day has progressed the pain has become significantly more and apart from pan when standing and walking, it also aches when at rest. I cant detect any bruising or swelling. The pain is on the outside just above the bony part. I have an ulcer so I cannot take anti inflammatories. Can you make any suggestetions on what to do to relieve the pain.

Hallo BMJ
Elevate the foot and put ice on the area. A packet of frozen peas work well, as it molds around the area! If it becomes blue you may have torn some of the ligaments and you may need to see your doctor to test for instability. Bind it with a crepe bandage to support the ligaments, rub with Voltaren Jel and use Panado or Dolorol Forte for the pain.
If you stand on your feet the whole day you may need to get a sick note for a few days to rest the foot. If you sit at a desk, try to elevate the foot and support it with a pillow.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011-03-24

Hallo BMJ