Question
Posted by: Mitch | 2008-11-25

Ankle

Hi i fractured my ankle about almost two years ago now since then i have been playing touch rugby and gyming since then but my ankle still doesnt feel 100% it also looks a bit more swollen still than my other ankle. Could this be liquid in my ankle?

Hi Mitch

I doubt it. MOre likely is that the ankle is just weak, and even though it's recovered from the initial break, it doesn't quite "work" the way it needs to especially during games of rugby with many turns and changes in direction. The result will be that it gets inflamed each time, because all the tendons and muscles are having to work overtime to compensate for a little bit of weakness and lack of neural control.

So what you need to do, in all likelihood, is work on strengthening the ankle, and in particular, working on how your body controls it. The brain controls the muscles and you can teach it that, through simple things like balance exercises on the floor, then balance on a soft mat, then catching a ball while balancing on a mat, and so forth. Ideally, this process should be started out by a physio, but the idea is that you "teach" your ankle how to work by doing exercises designed to balance and control the joint, not necessarily make it stronger.

Goodluck