Question
Posted by: Megs | 2010/08/18

Angry bird

Hey doc, this may not be your expertise but I thought I''d give it a bash. I got a green cheecked conure from my parents as my younger sister was neglecting her and teased her a couple of years after she got her (but she refused to let me take her). So in December last year I eventually got custody of her and she''s a lovely bird but she is VERY angry. She''s always attacking her toys, throwing food out her food bowl, flying to us then biting us... We give her as much attention as we can (as soon as I get home I let her out the cage, we sing to her and talk to her, etc), she gets lots of treats (healthy treats) and although she''s alone at home during the day, I throw a lot of bread and things outside and put her by the window so she can see the other birds. We can''t touch her because she bites but she lets my boyfriend kiss her on the head. Do you have any idea when she''ll be touchable and less angry?

Hi Megs

Please check the following website for instruction in how minimise biting behaviour
http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/bird-biting.html

I hope this helps

4
Posted by: Megs | 2010/08/26

Thanks for all the suggestions. We''ll get a small radio for her. She also have a blanket that covers half her cage but we''ll get like a nest thing for her too. That may help. Thanks again!

Reply to Megs
Posted by: annemarie | 2010/08/24

I read somewhere that caged birds feel very exposed as they have nowhere to hide in their cage. My parrot has a cloth draper (permanently) over the one corner of the cage, and that is where he will go for a snooze and a rest etc. Perhaps your bird will benefit from having a hidy-hole too.

Reply to annemarie
Posted by: ABC | 2010/08/20

Turn the radio on classic fm softly during the day when you''re not there

Reply to ABC
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/08/19

Hi Megs

I hope this helps

Reply to CyberVet