Question
Posted by: Mommy A | 2011/12/19

Angry 5 yr old

I have 4 kids aged 9,7,5 and 2. My 5 yr old is worrying me so much.

when I was pregnant and b-feeding him I was under going a lot of stress. He was a very quiet and happy baby. Things turned around when my 4th was born. Things went worse after we moved a1 1/2 yrs ago.

He is the most angriest child I have ever seen. When he gets mad he starts screaming, throwing things and becomes rather physical. He will go on saying how much he hates us all when things go wrong. EVen times when he gets hurt while playing he would come and hit/kick anyone incl me and his dad if we saw him get hurt. If try to comfort hime when he gets hurt he''ll start screaming and pushing me away When he is embarrassed he hurts us too. Trying to calm him down turns into a screaming match.

I am not sure what to do and really need advice to help my son.

Thank You

I do hope all our other experienced moms haven't yet gone away on holiday, as their responses will be interesting and useful. Though there have been some suggestions that a very highly stressed mom may have some impact on the baby, it is far from properly confirmed by research. And as he was a quiet and happy baby, that suggests no ill-effects.
His changed mood and anger sound more related to the birth of the late-comer who he may have seen as taking , indeed usurping, his place as the youngest child, with the extra indulgence and attention that sometimes brings being lost to him. Any kid may have temper tantrums at this age, perhaps he had even more reasons for feeling so angry.
The quickest way to talor interventions to help him reduce and control his temper, and to help you develop techniques for doing so, would be to take him to see a child psychologist for a full assessment and advice based on that,
His reaction to being hurt suggests he feels embarrassed at being hurt when you witness it happening.

1