Posted by: Dianne | 2011-12-30

It has been recommended that I get an angiogram, but they just tols me they insert die through my groin, I would like to know
1. Is it a vein in my upper leg, or is it in my vagina?
2. Will my legs be in stirrupps like a gynae exam?
3. Will they remove my pubic hair?
4. Will my vagina be exposed?
5. Will my breasts be exposed, like in the ecg?
6. Will there be pain afterwards that would affect my sex life?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Diane.

You don’t mention your age, or why an angiogram has been recommended. From the questions you ask, it sounds as though you are young and probably pre-menopausal and therefore at low risk for coronary artery disease. If so, I am curious to know why an angiogram has been recommended.

To answer your questions:

1.The test is done through the artery in your groin (not the vein). You can feel the artery yourself, pulsating in the groin crease halfway along the line between the midline and the bony bump in front of your hip joint.

2.Your legs will not be in stirrups but will be flat on the table.

3. A small amount of pubic hair might be removed but usually this is not necessary.

4 & 5. Neither your breasts nor vagina will be exposed.

6. You may have mild discomfort in your groin afterwards for a day or two, but nothing bad enough to affect your sex life.

I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards JT.

Posted by: from experience | 2012-01-19

I was awake in mine, and no you are not in stirupps, but flat on the bed, they go in a vein in the groin area, and did shave my pubic hair, and I was not allowed panties, and yes my vagina was exposed, but I think it was covered up a bit for procedure, couldnt make out at the time. My breasts were exposed for a short while to all in theatre, while they attached leads, but then covered, I think you are always naked in theatre for a bit, regardless of procedure, doc will answer that.
Sex is fine afterwards, but you will probably wait a while until you are feeling better. Hope this helps, but noticing date, the answer could already be a bit late, hopefully doc will answer soon.

Reply to from experience