Question
Posted by: Brenda | 2011/04/05

Angina ?

I have high blood pressure and also a small leak in the heartvalve. I sometimes get these chest cramps that moves to my left arm (angina?) and find that it happens more often when I am stressed. I am on medication for bp and beta block. Is there anything else I can get for the cramps ?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Brenda. You do not mention your age, or which valve is leaking, but I assume from what you say that you are no longer "in the first flush of youth"!

Small leaks in heart valves usually never give trouble. "Cramps" involving your left arm at times of stress are probably nothing to do with the heart, ie not angina, but for peace of mind it is probably better to see your doctor for reassurance.

There is no good way of preventing "cramps" that I know of, but treatment would depend on the cause. For example, pain down the arm is often due to wear and tear in the vertebrae of the neck ("cervical spondylosis") which is a very common problem as people get older. X-rays of your neck may be very helpful, which your doctor could arrange for you

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/04/06

Reply to Cardiologist