Posted by: MPHO | 2009-07-07

anger towards my husband

i was depressed 2001 and i got 6 months treatment, but now i have a problem of getting jeolous and very angry when my husband go out with his friends during the weekends especially when its at night and i feel as if he is having an affair and not going out with his friend. I have confonted him and he said there is nothing to worry about because he is indeed going out with his friend for drinks.
These things play on my mind and often makes me feel insecure and i lose self esteem. We are always fighting because he says i imagine things that are not there. I often wonder if i' m depressed again or its just a feeling that will go away after sometime. Do I need to see a Shink or do I need to go back on depression medication or what? I need your advice because this is bothering me a lot.

This might be some variation on a return of the depression, or may have it's own causes. the only way to be sure is to see a shrink or at least a good GP for a proper assessment, and then you can discuss what's best to do about it. Its undfortunate that these days too many spouses, especially men, seem to want to go out on their own with friends, and leave their wife behind. It doesn't mean he's having an affair, but it is inconsiderate towards you. Is there an option of you going out with him and his friends, so at least you have a clearer idea of what goes on, on those nights out ?
I'd think seeing a marriage counsellor together would be useful for both of you

Posted by: Liza | 2009-07-07

Working with a CBT therapist to sort out your insecuries and self esteem will help a lot. Seeing a psychiatrist will help you find out whether you are indeed depressed and need medication in addition to the CBT therapy.

Also, why don' t you go with some of the times he goes out with his friends for drinks? That way you' ll see that there is nothing to really worry about. If he won' t allow that, perhaps some couples counseling will also help to sort out the issues between the two of you.

Good Luck

Reply to Liza