Question
Posted by: Natasha Ehlers | 2011-03-29

Anger / Depression / Anxiety

Hi doctor, I hope you can help. I''''ve been to so many doctors to help me with my temper/depression/anxity and also my sexlife. I really do have a temper which is very bad. Im only 36 years old and have this temper of mine now for years after I''''ve been raped when I was a young child and this is affecting my relationship with my current boyfriend for the past ten years. I''''ve been married before had a son now I have a daughter with my boyfriend and his got a child from his late wife. At the office I can control the temper but at home I will go mad. My boyfriend and I can''''t even talk to each other anymore I''''m on nuzac / prozac but this is not working. Please is the anyone who can help me, financialy I''''m drained out with all this medical bills. I''''ve even seend a Hipnoses / Pshycologist and is going to see a syciatric now may 19th but I need help urgently. My sex drive is also gone out of the window and my kinds don''''t want to be with me anymore. For the smallest thing I get angry and screems on anybody around me, but I can be a very loving person if Im not so angry. I have a terrible history .

It would seem you could be really helped by a good psychotherapist / counsellor, rather than by meds alone. CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) might be best for managing the temper problems. Prozac won't be likely to help that, though it can help with depression, while CBT can help the anger, depression and anxiety, and especially your problems with how you behave when feeling bad.
Hypnosis was never a good idea for helping these problems. Some people react to various antidepressants, including prozac, with sexual problems as side-effects - loss of sexual desire, poor lubrication, difficulty reaching orgasm, and so on. I'm surprized if a psychologist couldn't help you, unless they avoided modern and effective methods like CBT, and stuck to old-fashioned and much less helpful, wishy-washy methods. And its a good point from a reader that the fact that you CAN control the bad temper while at work proves that you can control it, and its more that you for some reason don't choosem to control it at home, than actually being unable to do so

3
Posted by: Your Choice | 2011-03-29

If you can control your temper at the office you can so so at home!

Reply to Your Choice
Posted by: Im on my way | 2011-03-29

h t t p : // w w w guidetopsychology com / ebooks.htm

^
Book about how to overcome anger and learn forgiveness.

Reply to Im on my way