Posted by: Dino | 2009-08-13

I am not sure as to where to post this. I have a serious problem with my temper, i get angry at anything, and i tend to blow things totally out of porportion. IAW " i have a short fuse" . I know this is a probem. I do not get violent, but dont seem abe to control my anger. And i konw i am hurting people emotionally. I enquired about anger management, but they just to far and expensive. Pls help

Hi Dino

Agression is often a symptom of an underlying problem like depression (especially in teenagers), stress, anxiety or post traumatic stress disorder or it can be a side effect of alcohol or drug use. The best person to see for this is a psychiatrist, as this is treatable with medication.

He may also suggest that you see a psychologist to teach you some stress management techniques. If you don't have a medical aid, ask your outpatient doctor at the nearest provincial hospital to refer you to the psychiatry clinic at your nearest referral hospital.

These conditions are often caused by a imbalance of hormones in the brain ( like diabetes is caused by insulin shortage) and it is not something you can "fix" by yourself. Just as someone with diabetes needs extra insulin, you may need to get medication to stabilize the hormone levels in the brain.

Posted by: elle | 2009-08-13

Try posting at Cybershrink - will get real good advice there from him and the others posting there.
Good luck.

Reply to elle