Posted by: DeCee | 2009-07-07

Hello, could you please help me with a stewing anger I have inside. How do I control it? I don' t really know the reason, but I always feel like I should be careful otherwise I might start being aggressive. That is why I gave up drinking so often, but the occasionaly drink can still release my anger. Afterwards I feel poisoned by my own negative feelings, which is as strong as a black tidalwave. Its like a chain holding me to the ground, the more I try to break free the angrier I get, and then the chain just gets stronger. But why? I have no reason to be angry, but I' ve been like this since puberty, and am now a 28 year old, married man. I even dream I' m fighting, and my wife says I swear in my sleep alot. Is it really true people may be suffering from things that they refuse to ackowledge to themselves? I certainly am not aware of any such issues, but what other reasons might there be? I feel angry just having to ask for help. Thank you.

Irritability may be part of the picture of Depression, or Anxiety and a response to stress, but anger usually has some reason or theme,or trigger, whereas irritability may include ratty over-reaction to just about anything. It is indeed worth avoiding alcohol, and caffeine can easily add to irritability, too.
Now, don't get angry with me if I suggest that at least a proper assessment by a shrink would be useful, followed by a discussion of treatment options. Something like CBT, Cognitive-behaviour Therapy, can help you learn to control anger and irritability, even if specific reasons are not identified.
Instead of allowing yourself to feel angry at needing help, get angry about always feeling so angry --- and decide to rid yourself of that tiring and unhelpful habit