Posted by: Ulcerative Colitis in a 2 yr old | 2009-02-18

My two year old son was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis about two weeks ago. For the past 6 weeks he has been complaining of his eyes either hurting, or being sensitive to light.
Is there anything we can do for him, as I have read that this disease can cause such problems in the eyes.
Currently he is on antiinfmalatory pills, omega supplements and iron supplements.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Ang

there are two components to this question:

1. the medical management: the traditional medical managment of UC is, as you know, antiinflammatory medication which can result in significant side effects both with short term use and with greater liklihood with longer term use.

It is therefore prudent to manage the condition utilizing as many 'natural' alternatives as possible.

2. other options: while most gastro enterologists may disagree that diet can and, in fact, does play a role, I would encourage you to carefully investigate options that you have in this regard. Going into details in this regard is beyond the scope of this forum, however there is ample infomation available

There are natural antiinflammaroty medications (that fall into the category of Selective Kinase Response Modulators - SKERMs). This is relatively new technology and so you may find that very few people, medically or otherwise, know much about them. Again, I encourage you to research other option in this regard as with your son being so young its going to be a long road.

The Omega 3 oils are excellent, however please ensure that you are giving him a 'therapeutic dose'. i.e. enough to have an actual clinical effect. This may depend on which specific product you are using so check the lable and verify with the store you bought them from.

Why are you giving him iron? There should always be a clinical indication for iron supplementation i.e. anemia. it is possible to iron overload so please chech with you health care practitioner in this regard.

Ensuring that there are no opportunistic organisms (candida, parasites etc.)in the bowel that could affect proper function of the friendly bacteria is very important. I would definitely recommend supplementation with a probiotic supplement.

Hope this helps.