Posted by: Lindi Van In | 2011-05-13

My Dad had an aneurism on the 6th May this year and is 72 years old. There is an extensive bleeding and he is currently in a coma. He is currently at the Milpark hospital. According to the neurologiost he had a stage / class 4 anuerism. Can you give me the best and worse case scenario''s should he wake up and why do we have to wait 21 days before the doctors can do anything because when we spoke to him he said all they can do now is support him until he wakes up or until the end of the 21 days. Please can you help. I know I should be speaking to his neurlogist but I cannot get hold of the man and when he does his rounds I am either picking up my kids or at work and when we do catch him we are lucky if we get 2 minutes of his time because we get told he has a family. Please assist me here.

A large bleed after a ruptured aneurism has a very poor prognosis. Unfortunately, you will have to be patient an wait to see if he wakes up. There will be a good reason for the neurosurgeon not operating. It is possible that there is severe swelling and this can complicate an operation.