Posted by: Melly | 2009-02-25

Hi Doc,

I just wanted to know what the chances of pregancy is while being anemic. I' ve got severe heamolytic anemia and I' m on various medication, Autrin, Folic acid as well as Nuzak. If I fall pregnant would I need to stop all medication completely? I know I should but I' m scared of the after affects. Will my pregnancy be safe being Anemic?

Dear Mel
You need at least a HB of 10 to support a pregnancy , you will be able to continue on Autrin and Folic acid but may need to stop Nuzak. You may need blood transfusions if you are pregnant and your HB drops too low. You may need very careful and regular monitoring as a preganancy puts stress on your cardiovascular system.