Posted by: TES22 | 2009-03-19

Anemia due to heavy menstruation

Good day

I would like to get an opinion if possible.

I am 22 years old. For the past year and half or so I have been struggling with very bad Anemia. My iron levels were about 1.3 in January 2009.

At first when I felt tired and run down my iron levels were about 4. Then I got iron supplements that made me sick. I went onto something else and when I tested the iron again about 3 months later, it was 1.3.

I was referred to a specialist who did some tests and he said that it could be my menstruation that is too heavy as my period lasts for about 7 days.

He put me on a contraceptive, Yasmine, to try and get the menstruation down to 3 to 4 days. However, since I have been using the Yasmine I have been bleeding non stop. Except for 3 days when it stopped. It has been 3 weeks now and I am getting worried.

Is this right? What should I do?

Thank you.

If you are bleeding heavily, this is not normal. I would suggest that you go bac k to your gynaecologist.