Question
Posted by: Jane | 2010/08/10

Anemia

I am O+ blood type and i struggle with Anaemia.
I am not sure how to prevent this. I really want to donate blood but at this rate I will never be able to.

What diet can i follow to ensure by iron is high enough to feel healthy and to donate blood?

Dear Jane
I admire your desire to donate blood esp as you are a universal donor with your O+ blood type. The following foods are rich sources of highly available iron: liver, red meat, fish, poultry, egg yolk, iron-fortified breakfast cereals, maize meal and wheat bread, and dried fruit like raisins. I trust that the doctor has also prescribed an iron-folic acid supplement like Ferro-folate? If not, discuss this with the dr. Have a glass of orange juice which is rich in vit C with your iron-fortified breakfast cereal in the morning because the vit C helps the iron to be absorbed.
Hope your iron levels will soon have increased sufficiently so that you feel well and can donate blood.

1

Dear Jane