Question
Posted by: K | 2009-08-11

Aneamia

About 8 months ago i fainted, i went to the doctor and she said that it was because my iron is very low, it was 3 or 4 when it should be 12. I found that very strange as i had been donating blood for about 2 years prior to this and they never said anything about my low iron when i donated. The doctor put me on 6 month medication and i had to have chemicals inserted via a drip. I had my iron tested again about 3 weeks ago, and it is now on 10. Can i donate now again, or will i never be able to donate again?

Dear K
No you can't donate - it is still too low. It does not mean that you will never be able to donate but what worries me more is why this happened - did you lose a lot of blood ( via operation/menstruation/bleeding ulcer??) or did your bone marrow stop making red blood cells? Did your doctor try to find the cause?

1
Posted by: K | 2009-08-12

Thank you for your response. She did tests to find the cause of me fainting, but she didn' t try find the cause. Should i go back so that the cause can be determined?

Reply to K