Posted by: WD | 2011-05-09

Andropause and associated lowered sex drive, etc.

I''ve done some research on the internet and have pretty much figured out that what I am experiencing is indeed Andropause (Male menopause) What would be the starting point of getting treatment for the condition? I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow at 11, so would that be the ideal place to start looking for a cure? I am a 47 year old male and I have noticed the onset of symptoms from about 43 years of age, but more rapid decline of physical get-up-and-go with severe depression and lack of self belief, etc manifesting itself within the past year or so.

Expert ImageAgeing and Sexuality expert

Always work within a thoroughly scientific framework so your beginning point is with a urologist. He/she will give you a fill medical/physical work up, test your sex hormone levels- all your sex hormones, not just your testosterone- and do an assessment of your life style , including your use of alcohol, medication and recreational drugs, plus assess your relationship. And of course a prostate examination .A combination of all these clinical variables will give your clinician a good idea of whether or not you do have testosterone deficiency. And then he/she can decide if you are a good candidate for testosterone therapy.
However being on testosterone therapy alone will only get you to a certain level of wellness. You want to make appropriate changes to your life style as well as to your relationship.
And if placed on testosterone remember to go for 6 monthly check ups.