Question
Posted by: Y | 2009-02-26

And sweetened, flavoured yoghurt

Additional to question 603 re: carbonated drinks...

The dietician also told me to stop eating lowfat and fat free flavoured, sweetend yoghurt (such as Nutriday and Vitalinea). In this instance she has a problem with all the sugar in these products, and advised me to only eat plain yoghurt. I' d rather eat no yoghurt than plain yoghurt. And it seems to me that she is contradicting herself - first by recommending that I eat more sugar in the form of 1/2 teaspoon in coffee/tea or fruit juice in homemade icetea, and then she tells me to cut out sugar by avoiding flavoured/sweetened yoghurt. Again my question is - is flavoured, sweetened yoghurts really so bad? I thought they were good, healthy low-GI foods?

Dear Y
As I said just now, these controversies must be sorted out between you and your dietitian. You as the patient need to discuss these issues with her, not me and if you decide that you are not going to take her advice, that is your prerogative. Yoghurt is one of the best foods available because of its high calcium content and low-GI. If you eat the fat-free variety it is also low in energy and a good item for a slimming diet. If you don't like plain, fat-free yoghurt (which is by the way one of my own top 5 foods!), then make a plan if possible to buy fat-free, sugarless flavoured yoghurt which I believe is available at Woolworths.

1
Posted by: D | 2009-02-27

Try Fabulite, its fat free, and no sugar added

Reply to D