Question
Posted by: Lorraine | 2009-02-26

Anaphylaxis

I had a Anaphylatic shock of penicillin when I went to hospital for a bersitis elbow. I have never been alergic to penicillin in fact I was on penicillin for three weeks before the operation. My question is can I develop an overnight allergy for penicillin and if so I was also tested a week after the incident for penicillin allergy and the results were negative. What does this mean.

Dear Lorraine
They maybe gave you a combination of penicillen plus anti-inflammatory or cortisone which could have triggered the reaction - if you tested negative for penicillen AND you used it the week before it is unlikely that you are allergic to penicillen.