Posted by: jenny | 2012-11-07

Anaphylactic shock

Hi, i''m a 32 year old female. I was prescribed a new medicine last saturday and had a small respiratory/cardiac reaction to it for about 5-10 minutes. Sunday evening i took it a second time, and found myself in the emergency room being treated for anaphylactic shock. I was given the full press, epi, benadryl, steriods etc... It''s now wednesday and i''m still not myself. My largest complaint is shortness of breath &  being winded. Just sitting, not even being active. I''ve been at home resting since i got out of the hospital. Is this normal for what happened to me? Should i still be having shortness of breath? I know everyone is different and may take longer to get passed things than others. I do have an extensive history of bronchitus &  such. I was just curious if it normally takes a few days to recover from what happened? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Jenny

I am sorry to hear about your nasty experience. Unfortunately you don’t mention what medicine caused the anaphylactic shock.

There should be no long term bad effects from an episode of anaphylactic shock, but it is not at all surprising that it should take a few days for you to feel yourself again. The other possibility is that you have still not shaken off the original condition for which the medicine was prescribed. (You don’t mention what that was).And why do you have such an extensive history of bronchitis? Are you a smoker? Or do you have some underlying lung condition, such as bronchiectasis? You should try to get answers to all these questions, and if necessary please go and see your doctor or a good general physician.

I hope things get better for you very soon.

Best wishes, JT