Posted by: Purple | 2009-04-15

Analysing handwriting

What are your thoughts on handwriting analysis? I' ve been keen for many years to study this. I think it' s such an interesting subject.

If it were true, it would indeed be fascinating. But I have never found any convincing evidence that it is actually accurate. I think it can give the impression of accuracy in the same way that horoscopes can. They are always worded in a specifically vague way, so that they would apply to almost anyone, and, where they suggest something will happen in the future, you tend to forget when what was predicted doesn't happen, and to remember when they do, so over-estimating the accuracy of the predictions. And when I read any random other horoscope, they tend to apply to me, too. Similarly, graphology tends to describe us in broad and vague terms and in ways we would like to identify with even if not actually accurate.
As a scientist, I'm not only bothered by the lack of good evidence that it DOES accurately do what it claims, but by the absence of any mechanism to explain how it could be accurate. WHY and in what very specific way would a certain personality type lead you to form your "y" in a particular way when writing ?
But, that's just my view of it. I've never had anyone analyze my handwriting. Come to think of it, I rarely find anyone who can READ my hand-writing !

Posted by: Anon | 2009-04-17

This is very interesting indeed, I wonder what they would pick up from me as I have literally 4 different handwriting styles.

Posted by: ali | 2009-04-16

you can get books on graphology from the library, i did recently. there are examples of different types of handwriting and you can learn from their notes. I think often it is also instinctive, i find i can tell a bit from a person from the neatness, boldness, creative look of the writing. how hard they press, how fluided-flowing the writing etc...
i saw someones handwriting before i met her, and i knew straight away we would be good friends and i would like her. just really liked and connected with her handwriting.
getaway from your computer!!

Reply to ali
Posted by: Purple | 2009-04-15

Thanks CS

I have had my handwriting analysed by a friend' s cousin of mine. We had only met once and she could tell a lot about me by my handwriting. Not just personality but things that are " issues"  in my life. She happens to work for the saps.

Reply to Purple