Posted by: Anon | 2009-04-20

Anal sex

Good day
Pse advise. I' m not 2 sure how safe is anal sex? My b/f and I only do it once maybe twice every month to 2months, are there any risks involved or diseases? We' ve been dating for 4year + and we do not have any other sexual partners as we' re very commited and faithful to each other, but I' d like to confirm on this matter.

Anal sex is a high risk sexual activity and this risk can be substantially reduced by taking some safer sex precautions. These include: Using a condom every time with a lot of 'water soluble' lubricant; avoid having oral or vaginal sex immediately after anal sex; if one of these activities is desired, a new condom must be used. It is possible for germs (bacteria) from the bowel to enter the opening of the penis resulting in inflammation of the urethra / urinary tract infections. Using a condom will prevent this. If a condom is not used, it is critical that the penis be thoroughly washed immediately after anal sex.
Expert opinions are provided by the SA Sexual Health Association: