Question
Posted by: Worried sick | 2011-10-11

Anal pap smear?

Dear Cyber doc.
Earlier this year I was diagnosed with high-risk HPV and had cervical scrapping of the affected cells.
I''ve engaged in anal sex before and worried that I might contract have contracted HPV that way too and that I may have anal cancer, as a result.
What kind of specialist would I have to see for an anal check-up to determine the presence of HIV?
I''d also like to know, if I''ve contracted HPV and had the abnormal cells removed, does that cure the HPV completely? And is it possible to get re-infected by the same strain from a long-term partner and have abnormal (cervica) pap smears in the future?
Thank you so much.

You can consult a proctologist for an examination, as well as an HIV test. You can get reinfected with HPV from the same sexual partner. There is an innoculation that can prevent future infection with HPV.