Posted by: sleepless | 2011-11-19

anal itch causing sleepless nights

Hi doc

I have haemorrhoids and got a cream to apply twice daily (annusol).
The problem is that, even though this does help a bit with the haemorrhoids themselves, it does not do much to relieve the accompanying itching and burning I experience.

This is still bearable during the day, but I wake up at night with extreme itching and burning. I''ve also tried various things to keep me from scratching at night - even wearing socks on my hands.
But none of this works and I can''t remember the last night I had peaceful sleep.

Last night I applied some mylocort cream to the area and this made things 10 times worse.

What can I do?

You should consult your doctorfor an examination and a prescription for Scheriproct suppositries and cream, as soon as possible to alleviate your symptoms. Your doctor should discuss the possibility of a hemorrhoidectomy to permanently resolve the problem.