Question
Posted by: Marike | 2011/03/18

anal glands

Hi Doc,

My 7month old pekingese has full anal glands (according to my vet).
The problem is that the problem doesn''t improve even though i take him to the vet regularly to drain them.

I am very scared that he''s going to hurt himself as he chases his tail. He is extremely aggressive and keeps me awake at night. He also does this esspecially when he eats.

Can i take him to have the glands removed?

Posted by
Marike
Hi Marike
Removing the anal glands is definitely a last resort as the procedure has a very high risk for complications including constipation due to post surgical anal stricture or incontinence due to poor anal constriction. Therefore anal glands are only removed in extreme cases eg patients that struggle with recurrent anal gland infections. The best solution is regular anal gland expressions. Adding bran to their diet(all bran flakes, high fibre bran) also seems to help. The tail chasing can also be a behavioural problems though like boredom, anxiety or OCD.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2011/03/18

He''s quite likely this aggressive because he''s in pain, so you are quite right to see about finding a permanent solution. Constantly draining or expressing the sacs doesn''t do much to address the cause of the impaction - it''s just temporary relief.

First prize would be to resolve the situation without surgery, and in order to do this you would need to establish the cause of the problem. This could be dietary - if the pup''s stools are too soft, then the anal sacs won''t function properly. You could be dealing with an infection, in which case antibiotic treatment would be indicated, or an abscess, which would have to be dealt with by your vet.

Failing all else, you certainly could consider surgery.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/03/18

Posted by
Marike
Hi Marike

Reply to CyberVet